Sunday 16 November 2008

Dawn Porter: Voice of the people?


Fresh and flirty, Dawn Porter is the likable modern day broadcast journalist.  I think what makes this contemporary presenter so appealing is her ability to become genuinely engaged with her subject.  As a young viewer, I find myself undoubtedly interested in her documentaries, because of the way I can identify with her concerns, opinions and especially her honesty.  Unlike other journalists, Dawn does not aim to exploit ‘wacky,’ people; instead she tries to gain a sympathetic attitude towards them and their segregation from traditional behaviours and mainstream ideas about women, sex, relationships and lifestyles in general.  She open-mindedly welcomes their differences and provides them the opportunity to defend themselves and their community, on a nationwide scale.  As an audience we admire the way she willingly plunges herself into their unconventional lifestyles with the intention to see beyond her innate judgements. 

Dawn Porter has been quoted, ‘The female version of Louis Theroux.‘  They both have the gift of being able to get people to open up to them and reveal more than usual. Although I am a fan of Louis’ interviews and documentaries, I find Dawns work much more relaxed and light hearted. I like the way she documents her thoughts and feelings throughout, not only through voiceovers but also in film, which I feel creates a more engaging relationship with the viewers. I love her diary-cam style.

"Dawn Porter is 29, gorgeous, and single. She's had plenty of boyfriends, but no one she can imagine settling down with. Now ready for a relationship, Dawn is keen to look at the different ways it can be done. From polygamy and polyamory to mail order brides and Geisha, this new, four-part series sees Dawn travelling the world to look at the most extreme ways women find love, and live, with men." 

http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/D/dawn-porter/index.html


The 21st century is all about breaking down communication barriers and Dawn Porter is a prime example of publicly discussing sensitive issues that we all want to ‘nosy,’ into. 


I do various freelance articles for various press, sticking up for a woman’s right too eat, wobble, and have as much sex as she finds personally satisfying. Needless to say... I love my job!”

Dawn Porter      http://dawnporter.net/

No comments: